Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rockin' the River: Dotsero, CO

I love racing in Colorado. That pretty much sums up my feelings after today's 55 mile RR. I raced women's 1,2,3 in a field of about 40 for my new club team, GS Boulder. We rode along the Colorado River for about 25 miles before turing around and riding the same stretch back to the finish. For about half the race we were riding on dirt. Not bad except for a potholed section around mile 18 that made Sheridan look smooth. So many women lost their water bottles it was like a minefield. Luckily no one flatted or crashed. 
I don't know how I placed, but it was a lot better than I anticipated. What with altitude, mountains and fast CO women, I had pretty much reconciled myself to getting dropped and then enjoying a scenic ride through snow covered peaks, but I stayed with the leaders until a vicious hill at mile 23. After the turn around, I got in with a chase group that included NU's own Melanie Wong and we worked to catch the break. For a solid 20 miles, we had a beautiful, speedy pace line organized. We caught the break at mile 47, but some girls got away again almost immediately. My group ended up finishing about a minute after the leaders.
And apparently Lance Armstrong was there. One of the other GS Boulder women saw him and snapped some photos. Next race is in Laramie, WY on the 27 and 28 of June. It's a stage race called the Dead Dog Classic that is going to be epic.
Wish y'all could have been there to race with me! 
Axie

No comments: