Monday, April 19, 2010

Michigan Massacre Part D

With the season coming to an end the Michigan was the last chance to improve the team’s ranking before regionals. 11 points ahead of 6th and 44 points behind 4th meant it every race, every result, was going to matter.

Since my background is mountain biking I was excited to race on some dirt. Upon seeing it wasn’t single track, wasn’t a fire road, but a wide smooth road dashed by enthusiasm. I decided to stick to my standard habit and stick to the front, launch one attack to see how everyone attacks and see if I can cause pain. Nothing much seemed to be happening so I relaxed expecting a large field sprint. But as I relaxed going into the last lap, the pace picked up, I was gaped. Looking behind I realized there was no one. I hadn’t just been gaped but flat out dropped. It was time to dig deep and redeem myself. Gradually I brought myself forward, jumping from wheel to wheel as Tommy dropped them from his little group. It’s painful to see the peloton ahead and know that it’s just out of reach and then to see two more of your teammates fall off is heartbreaking. But you make the best of what you’re given. Tommy and I collected Nate and Taylor along with an IIT guy who was sticking with us. I tried to get an echelon going but IIT was refusing to work with it so I said screw it and jumped to try and drop him but sadly we only dropped Tommy. Taylor made sure I was awake as he nearly misses the last turn. IIT and I ride to the line together where I out “sprinted” him. Looking back, with 4 on 1, we should have just boxed him in at the line. My mental game is what I learned needed improvement.

My mental game was what I wanted to focus on Sunday at the crit but warming up it all felt wrong. The weather was cold, my legs were sore and the team needed every point I could earn. I decided to go for the prems and get as many points as I could before falling off the back. However something strange happened, after winning the first prem I felt great. I hadn’t felt so good in a race in a long time (never mind how long it had been since my last race). It was time to sit in and come up with a plan to win. Our team had 7 people in the race but there was no formal strategy, simply a goal to ride together. Going into the second to last lap 6 sets of polka dots appeared on the front. 6 teammates all together in total control. You could feel the panic from all the other schools stuck behind. I shouted for an attack and began a surge of my own. In front with Brad we built a small gap from the field as I pulled him through the lap. Unfortunately Brad didn’t have the strength to pull through the bell lap and we were caught but the rest of the team was still in good position. A counter attack saw a group of five get ahead, including Tommy. It was time for me to be defensive and just mark. A Serotta began to chase and I sat on his wheel. Looking up I could see Tommy sprinting, clearly winning, so it was time for me to sprint too and make up a few places. Surprise surprise 4th, and only about half a wheel from 3rd! Northwestern D men finished with 3 in the top 5, 5 in the 10 ten!

Best personal results of the season and best D team results of the season was the perfect way to cap off a fun weekend with 21 fantastic people. Setting up for a strong show at Purdue Regionals.

No comments: