Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hey all,
Last weekend I competed in the Dead Dog Classic stage race up in the mountains of Wyoming. Saturday was a hard, 53-mile RR that climbed the Medicine Bow Pass just outside of Laramie. The race started at around 9,000 ft in a little town called Albany (population: 15). The first twenty miles of the race weren't too bad and I was feeling strong. The serious climbing was in the middle of the course- 2,400 ft in 9 miles. Not too bad except for the 25 mph headwind. The group broke up really quickly on the climb and I ended up riding solo for the rest of the race. The descent was awesome- 59 mph, baby! So fun. The last 11 miles of the course, all uphill and into the wind, were not so fun and I ended up finishing middle of the pack.

The crit on Sunday in downtown Laramie was sweet. One of my GS Boulder teamates ended up winning it and I took 5th out of 25.

The crit was followed by an individual TT. The 10 mile TT is supposedly the highest 'flat' TT in North America at 8,800 ft. Not what I would call flat, the course had some pretty good hills in the final 5 miles. I finished a mediocre 15/25.
Fun, hard, windy weekend that left me exhausted and stoked to race again mid-July.
Axie

1 comment:

Nate Bartlett said...

59 mph!?!? Holy cow! Sounds like you're having fun!