Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tour of Mt. Nebo

Hey guys!

So I've finally started racing in PA! After a canceled race and a conflicting work schedule, I managed to head to southeastern PA to race in the Tour of Mt. Nebo. The race was a very challenging first. Two huge climbs (though nothing compared to CO) dominated the course. I made a silly mistake on the second climb during the first lap (which included forgetting that I had another ring in the front that would have made the climb 10x easier) but I felt very strong on the flats and descents. I was able to convince my parents that they should come watch me race (my m.o.: they'd pay for tolls, gas and food) and it was nice to have someone there to cheer me on during the hills and to listen to my race recap afterwards. I realized that racing by yourself is definitely not nearly as fun as when you're with a team. Another plus with the parents: I convinced them to go with me to watch the Iron Hill Twilight Criterium in West Chester, PA. It was a pro/1/2 mens and womens crit in the historic Philly suburbs. It was great to see some of the East Coast cycling world. For the men's race, a Harley Davidson guy pulled an Leibo (a la Regionals) and drove the crowd wild. Many of the people there had just stumbled upon the race and it was cool to see a the world of cycling open up to some new people.
I've got two races in a week, a weekend of crits and I'll update you guys then. Besides riding my bike, working and the tdf dominate my life right now. Northeast PA holds very little else to do though the riding here is beautiful.

No comments: