Monday, July 13, 2009

Triple Bypass- Riding in Style

So this wasn't a race, but it was still an awesome ride and I'm going to write about it anyway. Every year for the past 21 years, Team Evergreen has hosted the Triple Bypass, a 120 mile supported ride over three mountain passes for a total of 10,300 feet of climbing. Epic. 

I got started at 6:00 a.m. in Evergreen, CO. Almost immediately the route begins climbing Squaw Pass, whose summit sits at about 11,300 ft. The climb was pretty easy, and it was absolutely spectacular. At one point, the right side of the road dropped off about 800 vertical feet, and you could see forests for miles and miles surrounded by the 14,000'ers of the Front Range, (one of which was Mt.Evans, the mountain I'm racing up next weekend). Not a hint of civilization for as far as I could see. After about 16 miles, I reached the top where, (this being a supported ride) the race organizers had bagels and cream cheese, oranges, bananas, muffins, energy bars, gatorade, fig newtons and water. Mountains and delicious, free food- riding should always be this sweet. The descent was a lot of fun with some sharp, steep corners that made for good bike handling practice.  

The next 40 miles of the route were all uphill and into the wind. Not steep climbing, it just wasn't much fun. The next high mountain pass, Loveland, sat at mile 60. It's a short but steep pass that climbs up to 11,990 ft, well above tree line. Again, more beautiful sights and another fast descent. 

After Loveland came Swan Mountain, a short climb over a small mountain, before I finally reached the bottom of Vail Pass at mile 88. Vail Pass from the direction of the Triple is relatively easy, and after 10 miles, I was at the 10,300 ft summit. It was all downhill from there and I rolled up to my front door at 2:00 p.m. 

The ride really was too much fun and I wish you all could have joined me! Next year perhaps??

Axie 

No comments: